After the doctor's appointment I headed back to work since we were having a team dinner that night. I left work around 5:30 or so to head to the dinner, and as I was merging onto the highway two deer ran out in front of me. The first one made it safely across the road, but the other one was not so lucky. It was a small deer, so it sort of bounced off my car and either ran off or landed in the ditch. I slowed down and pulled off the road to assess the damage. My car was pretty beat up, but luckily a co-worker was leaving work at the same time and was able to help me assess the damage. We determined that it looked like mostly cosmetic damage (see pics below) and probably drivable, so I went ahead and drove it home...very carefully in the right lane just in case I needed to pull over for some reason.
I felt fine during all of this...didn't seem to get too shaken up in the impact, but as I was driving home I started noticing that I had a few more contractions than normal. I called the doctor when I got home and they weren't too concerned, but told us to call back if I had regular contractions for more than an hour. Of course, around 8:00 that night I started having regular contractions, so we got to make a fun practice trip to the hospital. They monitored me throughout the night, and the baby looked fine, but the contractions kept happening. I was finally able to get some sleep and they let me leave around 6:15 that morning when the contractions had finally let up. So everything ended well (except maybe for my car and the deer), but it sure was more drama than we were hoping for. At least we know where to go now when the big event occurs!!
My car ended up having a bit more damage than we expected - the radiator was broken, something with the AC got screwed up, and there was plenty of cosmetic damage. Hopefully we'll get the car back soon though (and can then install the car seat...Pedro better not come in the next few days!!) For now I think we've had enough drama!
No comments:
Post a Comment